Curriculum Vitae of Adam Lee Marangell
- Since 2005, public and private Special Master, serving Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
- Since 2006, General Counsel to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Professional Association, a Los Angeles County labor union, comprised of over 3,000 Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department employees, including over 2,500 Deputy Sheriffs.
- Since 2023, Temporary Judge, Orange County Superior Court, assigned to Civil Harassments, Small Claims Trials, and Mandatory Settlement Conferences.
- Former panel attorney for the Peace Officers Research Association of California, Legal Defense Fund and the Los Angeles Police Protective League.
- Litigated over 50 appeals of terminated peace officers before the Los Angeles County Civil Service Commission and multiple terminated Highway Patrol Officer appeals before the California State Personnel Board.
- Defended over 250 Skelly Hearings of imposed discipline of peace officers, including over 100 termination Skelly Hearings. Responded to hundreds of officer involved shootings and use of force rollouts involving peace officers, defended thousands of internal affairs investigations of peace officers.
- Western State University College of Law, Irvine
Juris Doctor, 1996
- University of California, Irvine
Baccalaureate of Arts, 1992
- Los Angeles Sheriff’s Professional Association, Monterey Park, Ca – 3/2006 – Present — General Counsel
Provide legal advice and counsel to union members regarding law enforcement policies, practices, and procedures, supervise all union panel attorneys, and manage all union litigation. Also represent individual union members in the discipline process, including prosecuting grievances within the department and appeals of discipline to the Los Angeles County Civil Service Commission.
- Law Office of Adam L. Marangell, Anaheim, CA – 3/2006 – Present — Attorney/Principal
Boutique civil litigation law firm with caseload derived exclusively from private referrals.
- Kerr & Sheldon, Fountain Valley, CA – 3/2002 to 3/2006 — Attorney
Plaintiffs’ counsel in a wide variety of civil litigation, from labor law issues to personal injury cases. Named partner Jeff Sheldon was Orange County Trial Lawyers’ Association 2007 “Personal Injury Trial Lawyer of the Year.”
- Morey & Upton, Costa Mesa, CA – 4/2001 to 3/2002 — Associate Attorney
Represented police officers in all facets of administrative actions, including internal affairs investigations, grievance hearings, discipline appeals, and officer involved shootings. Also served as plaintiff’s counsel in civil litigation, including labor law issues and personal injury cases.
- The Petersen Law Firm, Costa Mesa, CA – 9/1997 to 4/2001 — Associate Attorney
Specialized solely in representing police officers in all facets of administrative and litigation matters. Acted as primary counsel representing officers in litigation, arbitrations, internal affairs investigations, grievances, and administrative proceedings.
- Orange County District Attorney’s Office, Harbor Court – 1/1996 to 10/1996 — Certified Law Clerk
- Admitted to practice before the California Supreme Court, the United States District Court for the Central District of California and the Ninth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals.
- Paying Suspended Officers Works. Los Angeles Times. July 2, 2008.
- Injured On or Off-Duty? Protect All Your Rights. Silver Star (Dep. Sheriff’s Assn. of San Diego County). 2008 & recurring.
- Injured On or Off-Duty? Protect All Your Rights. The Thin Blue Line (Los Angeles Police Protective League). 2008 & recurring.
- International Union of Police Associations. Annual convention.
- Labor Arbitration Institute. Two conferences per year.